Please note:

This website was set up to get parcels to Australian Soldiers/Sailors/Airmen/Airwomen deployed overseas.

You are welcome to cut and paste information and use it to support sending parcels to our service members serving overseas, however, when you do cut and paste please link back to Ocean Sky & Khaki to acknowledge OSK, and so that people can find the blog themselves.

If there are questions one of us will answer if you comment on a post at the blog.

*************

Thursday, June 25, 2009

I for Is it OK to take stuff out of packets?

Well, I dunno. Guess we'll have to find out.

I've bought some long life milk in packs of six by 200ml tetra packs to go with coffee bags. I reckon it'd be OK to pack say, two per box, or three. That same shop also had some long life thickened cream which will probably go nicely with the bottled fruit I found.... and if it's not able to be cooled down they can maybe cook with it.

Then there's things like packet soups... cuppa soup things. I'd probably take off most of the box, even though it is only a few grams it adds up when you're talking only two kilograms.

What kinds of cooking additives would be handy?

I've found some toothbrushes for a buck each in packs of two, I think I'd send them in the two packs... they are toothbrushes! I'd like to find some small packs of toothpaste, too, just to go with the toothbrushes.

I just look out for specials and buy them, like a packrat... I've become a packrat. No, wait. I was always a packrat.

5 comments:

Boy on a bike said...

I was pondering this "removing from the packet" issue tonight. I bought a bag of demerra sugar, because it is the best stuff to have with coffee, but it is weighty. I was thinking of decanting maybe 200gm into another container, as sending a 500gm packet takes up too much of the 2kg weight limit.

On reflection, I've decided to look for a smaller sugar packet. Or to nick them by the handful from a cafe.

kc said...

Do you have Wal-mart type stores in Australia? Our Target has a whole section of "travel-sized" items like shampoo, deodorant, and toothpaste. I think the Dollar Stores do too.

This page is a great idea, m'Friends. SO helpful!

Anonymous said...

I unpack stuff like coffee sachets, Chuppa Chups.

This time I bought 2 x 4 packs of custard cups, broke them up and put in one of each (1 vanilla and 1 chocolate). They don't require refrigeration so I thought I'd give them a go.

Sandi

Nilk said...

I found the CSR sugar sachets, 50 for $1.50 and grabbed those last week. I figure those with some of the Robert Timms coffee sachets and tetra milk should go okay.

Only problem is... I can't abide coffee so don't know which one is the best to go for.

I usually get the mocha kenya because TL once suggested having them around the house as a better alternative to instant.

I only use instant for baking with.

kae said...

I'll be sending the Robert Timms coffeebags, they're a combo of instant and proper ground coffee... and I found two flavours in cheaper packs of 28 bags, Mocha Kenya (my fave) and Espresso, which is a stronger. I'll put both coffee and tea in parcels, some people don't like coffee!